Sunday, August 22, 2021

UI - First Impressions

Hello everyone! Welcome to the Archrebel project! This weekend was all about trying to come up with a suitable UI. I believe I have something solid to go with now. Below, is a mockup of what 1986 Rebelstar could have featured if it wasn't for the hardware restrictions of the time.

The most critical features are probably the mini-map and the squad's overview for easy unit management. Sure, having a graphical representation of items also provides a new level of immersion, and being able to control everything with a mouse or keyboard will grant Rebelstar fans a new comfortable way of experience this old and revised premise. The inventory has been vastly expanded with 10 slots instead of 4, in which 2 of them are for large items only.

If you are wondering what are the bottom items, let me throw in the following names: smoke grenade, frag grenade, mediprob (it's here too!), and a throwable scanner. The latter will be used to uncover ground without exposing units.

I actually had loads of fun 'pixeling-art' those items; it has been a while since I did some considerable pixel-art work, the effort seems to have paid off though. The image above is the result of nearly 30 hours of work consumed during this weekend. Tomorrow is basically wake-up-and-repeat. I've quit my job so I can develop Archrebel at full throttle and hopefully make a living out of game developing and being able to finish Underlair, my other project.

Let me know your thoughts on the comment section, I always do my best to respond to everyone.

Stay safe!


6 comments:

  1. The progress rate on Rebelstar is inspiring! I think you made the right choice focusing on it.

    The pixel art is detailed and aesthetic. The units are a bit hard to read at a glance vs rocks, maybe make the latter darker and/or tinted?

    You might be interested in the fog-of-war effect from SKALD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9TGpILbHoE. Essentially, it has 2 layers: black and blue tint. The former is for everything outside your sight radius (regardless of line of sight), and blue is what is within the radius but hidden out of sight.

    There's a another neat visual there where tall grass overlaps a unit standing on top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I'm glad to see you are following its progress. The rocks need to be tuned down yes, they are too bright atm and the seeing it all so small in the GIF further enhances the "visibility noise".

    I'm still experimenting with the concept but that blue tint could in fact be a good way to do it. Thanks for the tip.

    Regarding overlapping, that is something I really need to decide. I can have trees overlapping each other but then that means that units can also go invisible behind them, which can be a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had my computer fry, moved apartment any only got my internet back yesterday. But, now my new computer has water cooling and there's fiber optics here so happy ending :)

    My description of SKALD's fog-of-war effect is slightly wrong, but you get 2-layers idea. It has a free demo, btw: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1609100/Skald_Against_the_Black_Priory__the_Prologue/

    The grass overlap I mentioned is entirely cosmetic, just a neat little thing that adds depth to the otherwise flat terrain, but it could affect gameplay as well (e.g. provide some cover). I've no idea how will hiding or taking full-cover behind (under) trees will work gameplay-wise... maybe it requires a skill? maybe it's possible only along the edges of forests, where trees are somewhat lighter? -_o_-

    ReplyDelete
  4. If there is something that really takes on the edge is having my computer with problems. I'm glad your system is now ok.

    In Archrebel, the collision is accurate with the objects silhouette, so, you can shoot through the gaps between trees. When I start working more on the GFX, there will be far more variety of trees and other objects providing interesting collision options.

    That's the thing I really loved about Rebelstar, you could hit or miss opponents by just 1 pixel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pixel-perfect targeting can make the environment more immersive as there may always be some cheeky angle you could utilize to your advantage. Jagged Alliance 2 has real-world collision, which allowed for creative angles. It might require making sure that the UI makes it clear that going to a certain spot allows a certain angle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed. Using raycasts the AI I can easily check whether or not player units are within sight. :)

    ReplyDelete